Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Dos Días Locos

Un Comienzo Desigual (A Bumpy Start)
Imagine losing your gadgets, having your car not start, getting stopped by security at the airport and almost missing your connecting flight and searching for almost two hours for a meeting spot. You can't imagine it? Well neither could I, but it all happened. Within the first 24 hours of my journey I had a plethora of bad juju thrust upon me, but it all worked out in the end and I AM HERE! I cannot believe how wonderfully beautiful Spain is. Yesterday I arrived in Madrid jetlagged and smelly, but so excited to be here. The culture-rich streets and incredible food are just two things I noticed right off the bat.


From Monday to Friday we will be in Madrid (B), touring, eating, and getting to know one another


Buenos Amigos and Buena Comida (Great Friends and Great Food)
Everyone on my program is so nice. We have a group of nine people from all across the country, but it seemed a lot smaller once we made connections. I am here with one other girl from my school; it is so nice to see a familiar face and it didn't hurt for maneuvering our way through the Madrid Airport. Additionally, another girl from DC is here and as we were trying to figure out if we knew any of the same people, the first person she mentioned was Sarah, my best friend from home. It gives the saying "small world" a whole new meaning!
The food is incredible, but so filling. I eat a lot in general and I really have a love for all foods. However, with el menú del día (menu of the day) you get two plates of food (for example you could get a bowl of soup and a piece of fish), sangria or wine, and dessert. It fills you up fast, and I have gone into multiple food comas since I have been here.


Some of the wonderful friends on my program!



 Cómo Se Dice... (How do you say...)
It is difficult from going to all-English all the time to all-Spanish all the time. Our program director speaks only in Spanish to us, and we are encouraged (required) to speak in Spanish to each other unless we have a question we can only say in English. I find myself saying comó se dice (insert English word here). Lo siento if I start using "Spanglish" en mis blog posts porque I am required to think and hablar en Espanol todavia.

That's all I have for now...
"Quien no pasa por la pasa no se casa" - If you don't walk on Raisin Street you won't marry" 
*Raisin Street used to be where you got your marriage license... hence the saying 



No comments:

Post a Comment