Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Una Semana Muy Ocupada

Comida, Comida, Comida (Food, Food, Food)
Many things have happened since my last blog post, including but not limited to travelling to three different cities in Spain. I can happily say that I have been to the oldest restaurant in the world (according to Guinness Book of World Records). It is called Sobrino de Botín, and it is on La Calle de los Cuchilleros (the street of the cutlery). This is because the specialty of the restaurant, and Spain in general, is whole little pigs and they use special cutlery for cooking and eating. Obviously, being the avid vegetarian I (sometimes) claim to be, I had to try it. The taste was flavorful, like bacon, and the texture was chewy. There is so much meat, especially pork, in Spain that sometimes it is hard to handle. But it is all part of the culture!





                                                         Some friends and me trying a                                                                shot of liqueur special to Madrid                                                          (la madrona) in a cup made from                                                          a waffle and chocolate
^A Cochinillo (little pig) - specialty of
Madrid, but does not look appetizing to me








Toledo: Cuando Las Princesas en Vivo (Toledo - Where the Princesses Live)
Before my trip to Toledo, did not know the history or culture of the city. Lucky for me, I found that Toledo is in enchanting city with incredible architecture and such a mix of cultures - it is fit for a princess. Toledo was a big change from Madrid, because Madrid is a big, chaotic city that is busy with work and construction during the day and is a major a party town at night. Since Toledo is also a tourist town, I figured it would be filled with people from all over the world and long lines. However it was so nice and quiet and when I walked in the streets, I felt as if I went back in time.

While there, my friend Brittany and I ended up taking a wrong turn down the Don Quijote path and ended up on the other side of the city - the view was worth it!

                                   
The portal to the city - I pretended I was a princess.                                        The entrance to a cathedral
 Another gorgeous view of the city - these are just a few of the reasons I can't believe I'm actually here!


Now I'm off to Granada - my home for the next 3 months! Until next time... barriga llena, corazon contento! (A full belly, a happy heart)

1 comment:

  1. I ate from a whole roasted pig once. It was tasty... but kind of disturbing. Enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete