Sunday, September 29, 2013

Mi Propio Patio Trasero

Una Semana de Películas de Disney (A Week of Disney Movies)
I've found the one of the best ways to practice Spanish is by watching movies that I know best. These happen to be childrens movies from the 90's (mostly) but I don't care. It is so much fun to hear my favorite lines/songs from these movies in Spanish. And since I already know them in English, it makes for perfect practice. Some of my favorite lines from these movies thus far:

*if you want to test your Spanish/your knowledge of Disney movies- see how much you understand*
Mulan : "Dishonor on your whole family! Dishonor on you... dishonor on your cow" 
Enredados: "When will my life begin"
Aladdin: "Prince Ali"




Esta Explorando Albaicin (Exploring Albaicin)
In my last blog post I wrote about how Albaicin was my backyard, but with the exception of my school I didn't really see much of it. I took a day this week to explore Albaicin and even though I got lost, it was really cool to see the influence of Moorish culture in all of the buildings and houses. To get up to the top of the Albaicin is a trek, and i thought the bottom of the hill was beautiful enough for me.






However, when I got to the top my eyes opened to such a magical view I thought I was dreaming for a second. The city can seem so small when you're in the center of it all just going from place to place. Getting a birds-eye-view of the city really put into perspective that I have so much more of this city to see and appreciate.


¡Viva La Virgen de las Angustias! (Long Live St. Angustias!)

This week St. Angustias was celebrated in Granada. People from pueblos all over and EVERYONE who lives in Granada was out to celebrate and give their offerings to the Virgin. We started the celebrations last week, when floral offerings were presented at the church in Granada. Then this weekend on Saturday we attended afternoon mass, which was in Latin, and the Virgin (to the right) was there for everyone to see. On Sunday night the whole town and more was here to see the procession of The Virgin. Over 300 people marched through the main streets of Granada, including a full band, to officially celebrate the Virgin. It was a lot bigger than the celebration I went to two weeks ago, but it was a learning experience just the same! It ended at the Cathedral where everyone broke out into song and yelled  '¡Viva La Virgen de las Angustias!'.  

Feliz Cumpleaños a Sarah (Happy Birthday Sarah!) 
Finally, to end this weekend, we celebrated the birthday of a girl in our program who was turning 18. In Spain, 18 is the 21st birthday equivalent in the U.S. Needless to say, it was very fun. Nightlife in Spain is very different. People leave at 11pm (or later) and then go to the discotecas around 3am. I fell asleep long before then, but it was nice to let loose for a bit and not worry about homework!   






This week is going to be so busy! The Alhambra tomorrow, work all week, and a trip to Sevilla and Cordoba next weekend!

Until next time.... nunca es tarde para aprender (It's never too late to learn)

No comments:

Post a Comment